College Prep for Musicians: A Comprehensive Guide for Students, Parents, Teachers and Counselors
By Annie Bosler, DMA, Don Greene, PhD and Kathleen Tesar, EdD
by Barbara Siesel
It’s that time of the year again- time to apply to music school!!
Applying to music schools, both undergraduate and graduate is a daunting and involved process (these days!). In this terrific book Annie Bosler, Don Greene and Kathleen Tesar give students, teachers and parents a step by step path to having a successful audition and gaining a place in the music program of their choice. Students can use this book to navigate the tricky, differing requirements of each school, can learn how to prepare, how to audition, what type of school to apply for, the traditions of how to approach a teacher and much more.
Here is a list of the chapter headings:
- Majoring in Music: Starting and Persisting
- A General Timeline for High School Students Who Want to Major in Music
- Understanding Schools and Music Degrees (different types of programs)
- Deciding Where to Apply: Lists and Strategies
- The Application
- Organizing and Practicing for Performance Auditions
- Tools for Successful Auditions (fantastic chapter on centering, managing nerves, confidence building and mental performance)
- The Audition Day: Before and After
- Admission Decisions
- Financial Aid (great chapter on scholarships, ways to pay for college etc)
- Music Careers: Motivation and Success
In addition, there are 16 appendices on everything from sample emails for requesting a trial lesson, or appealing a financial aid package, to how to write a personal statement and sample repertoire lists. They’ve thought of everything! Interspersed throughout the book are “true stories” which illustrate real life experiences of music students in each chapter, very relatable for students, parents and teachers.
College Prep for Musicians is a must have book for students, parents and teachers.
There is so much in the book that I find helpful for guiding my own students to successful admission to Undergraduate or Graduate school. In fact, I wish that I had had this book when I applied to music school, it would have helped this refugee’s daughter to understand better how to choose, prepare and successfully audition for the school that matched her best!